Barefoot in Blue

Monday, December 12, 2005

My soul responsibilities...

People say that America is not a melting pot but rather a tossed salad: Everything is together in one bowl but distinct. America... Girl, I can relate! I am one person but I am the sum of many parts. I have always been different than everyone else; either my head was in the clouds while the earthdwellers focused on their next move, or I was totally intrigued and obsessed with something while everyone else was yawning with disinterest. I must represent each of them well and erase all stereotypes and stigmas attached to them.
For example, I am a Southerner (by God's grace, =)...) many people see the South as backwards, I have stated before that I am about as country as it gets. I mean the picking berries, tending to the cows, climbing trees, catching fireflies, walking around barefoot kind of country. I have to show that though I was raised in a relaxed and virtually carefree environment, it does not make me backwards, naive, or simple-minded. I was raised to respect peoples cultures and backgrounds and to soak up as much knowledge as possible...all the while staying true to myself and my upbringing (If I may quote Gretchen, I'm just a product of my raisin')
I am also a Ghanaian (West African) woman. This wouldn't be such a big deal if I weren't born and raised in the South, where shade of skin and texture of hair is as important to people as their religion and education. Dark skin, let alone, African culture is not always appreciated down here. Growing up having to defend myself against African Americans and Whites was no easy task. Even as an adult there is a strong stigma attached to being of direct African decent. It's something that I am immeasurably proud of. My responsibility is to educate people and explain to them the basics (Yes. We do wear clothing... you would be surprised at the questions people ask me)
I am nearly six feet tall (5'11 to be exact). I attempt to make my height look graceful, dainty, and unintimidating... not an easy task. People (especially men) are intimidated by tall women. It is amazing how I have been classified into the model or basketball player/lesbian category on height alone (neither of which I am by the way).
I am also a 22 year old virgin...*chirp,chirp* Hello? Is my mic on...? Yes, we sexy virgins are a dying breed. Full of head tilting, squinting and amazingly personal questions, it's exhausting to have to defend your personal stance on sexuality and the like. I have no shame or problem doing so, but I am a lady (ha...Ahem!) and I attempt to practice discretion at all times... You'd be surprised how fast something as mundane as with who or whether or not you are having sex can spread. It's pretty funny...
I'm saying all of this to say how wonderful it is not to be the norm. To be a surprise, an unexpected addition to everyday humdrum life. Everyone is unique in their own way, flaunt it! Appreciate it! Bask in it! When you do other people will follow suit and reveal their wonderful differences too...Toss that salad...!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home