Barefoot in Blue

Friday, August 26, 2005

The Art and Beauty of Climbing Trees...


Just the other day, a friend of mine told me that he had never climbed a tree...blasphemous! He is from a big city and I assume they just don't do things like that there. I sat and thought about how much joy can be found in simply climbing a tree. To tell you the truth, I still climb them when I find one worthy. As a child, the sheer excitement of looking up into an old, tall oak with low boughs and thinking, "I'm gonna tackle you today!" Climbing higher and higher, making sure not to scrape your bare legs on the rugged bark...reaching the top and being amazed how small your house can look...discovering the old frisby and twirling baton (with the streamers on the ends) your brother threw on the roof last year. For a moment, you are a giant and rule the yard! Mmm, for someone who has never done this, they might not understand the joy of finding the perfect bough and eating a snack or reading a book, being hugged by the branches and cool leaves of an old tree. Simple pleasures...

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home