Barefoot in Blue

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

The Moon...

I've always had a thing for the moon. Ever since I was a child, I would gaze up at it all solid, silent, and round mysteriously gliding across the sky. I know it's crazy but I think of the sun as sound, or noise, like a trumpet and the moon as silence, even though at night all the nocturnal creatures are awake and screaming. The moon is soft and forgiving like a cotton ball, and unlike the sun, you can look into it without doing major damage to your cornea. It's not just a big rock floating in the sky, it's "the man on the moon"; a huge ear ready to listen, it's 'the root of imagination and poetry, it's the official stamp stating that the day has ended. My favorite time of the year is during the season of the harvest moon. It's around October and November, when the moon is closest to the earth and it's huge, yellow, and playfully daunting. Back in the day, people were able to harvest during the night by the light of the engorged moon, ergo the name.
Raised in an herbal household (and no I don't mean weed) we took vitamins and things of that nature all the time. Seeing the moon huge and powdery, would remind me of a vitamin and I would smile and think tsk, tsk, God hasn't taken his vitamin for the day, his Mama is going to be mad... I may be the only person on Earth who remembers this but McDonald's used to have a commercial with the moon dressed in a tuxedo looking like a lounge singer playing the piano and singing "It's Mac Tonight!" (to the rhythm of "Mack the Knife") I adored that commercial...I don't worship it or feel that it has any spiritual or magical powers, but it does mystify me.
I like how the moon is humble. It controls water like a conductor leads an orchestra and does it with subtle power, and the obedient ocean obliges to its gravitational pull...I could go on and on...I will spare you.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • Well, it's good to have you back in the blogging world Miss Barefoot in Blue. I thought you fell on the side of the earth, but it appears that you've been on the moon all this time. I wonder how earth must look from your vantage point.

    And piano playing moons advising us to eat MacDonald's, very interesting if not a little scary.

    By Blogger Kendra, At December 2, 2005 at 4:05:00 PM PST  

  • Well, I was born under a full moon which is suppose to make me connected not only to the moon but also water due to the moon's influence of tides and stuff. I don't really subscribe to all that "signs" stuff, but a lot of it tends to be true to my nature.

    By Blogger Marta Gwyn, At December 9, 2005 at 11:43:00 AM PST  

  • I don't think I mentioned this before but not only do I remember the "It's Mac tonite" commerical. The man who wrote it is my brother's godfather's sister's husband and I've been in his Munster, IN, house. His studio is a dream!

    By Blogger Marta Gwyn, At June 23, 2006 at 5:30:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home